Red Cross Wants
Be Safe Around the Water
Find a Red Cross swim class in
Learn how to be safe at home
our Water Safety Quiz
Learn to swim!
The best thing anyone can do to stay safe in and around the water
is to learn to swim. The American Red Cross has swimming courses for
people of any age and swimming ability. To find a Red Cross course in
your area, click here.
Always swim with a buddy!
Know your swimming limits and stay within them
Obey all "No Diving" signs
- Enter feet first at all times unless you are very familiar with the
- Learn the correct way to dive from a certified instructor
Watch for "dangerous too's"
- too tired
- too cold
- too far from safety
- too much sun
- too much strenuous activity.
Use common sense about swimming after
- You do not have to wait an hour after eating before you swim unless
it was a very large meal or you plan to swim strenously
Alcohol impairs your judgement, balance,
- Alcohol affects your swimming and diving skills and reduces your body's
ability to stay warm
Know how to prevent, recognize and respond to emergencies
- CHECK the victim
- CALL 9-1-1 or your local emergency number, and
- CARE for the person until help arrives
- News & events
- Take a class
- About your Red
Give blood -
You can help
- Talk to us -
- Shop at home
- Site map